Hometown USA

2016 Visitor's Guide

Issue link: https://read.timesprintingdigital.com/i/681975

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 9 of 95

10 www.randomlake.org PLEASURE VALLEY PUMPKINS PLEASURE VALLEY PUMPKINS More Fu n • More to Do • For Far Less New this year - Pumpkin Patch Dash Duck Races • Corn Cannon • Ag Adventure • Scavenger Hunt • Hay Rides Corn Maze • Haunted House • Hay Maze • Train Rides • Moonwalk Farm Animals • Pig Races • Sandwiches and Refreshments OPEN 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM OPEN WEEKENDS — September 24 - October 30 Weekday/School Groups by appointment only Admission includes ALL Activities (excludes Corn Cannon) 1 FREE Pumpkin u nder 20 lbs. 920-994-9294 • www.pvllamas.com W7757 S. County Trunk. A, ADELL (2 miles west of Batavia on A) (5k Trail Run 1k for children) Opening Day - Sept 24th 2016 BEECHWOOD The Town of Scott always was a pre- mier farming area with several tribu- taries of the Milwaukee River provid- ing ample moisture. The hamlet called Beechwood sprung up on the west side — on the shore of the 22-acre Beech- wood Lake. No manufacturing facilities or large employers are located in the Town of Scott, but there are several fine establish- ments offering camaraderie with good food and drink. Beechwood draws vis- itors to the Beechwood Rest Home and Noble Beechwood Cheese. The Beechwood Fire Department re- mains the most active community orga- nization, together with the Beechwood Fire Department Auxiliary. Beechwood firefighters are jointly dispatched with Batavia to any emergency in the Town of Scott. When the one-room school districts were required to join a district with a high school, the eastern part of the town chose the Random Lake School District, while the western portion selected the Kewaskum School District. Beechwood Elementary School closed in June 1984. There seems to be proof that in 1846 John G. Aupperle became Scott's first settler. Other early family names that are still familiar include Naumann, Mulder, Le Fever, Stolper, Rusch, Kaiser, Ebert, Kreut- zinger and Hammen. The first town meeting was held in April 1850, with R. C. Brazelton elected as Scott's first chairman. By 1870 the Town of Scott was supporting five district and two joint district schools, with combined enrollments of 428 pupils.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Hometown USA - 2016 Visitor's Guide