Hometown USA

Business, Biker and Visitor Guide

Issue link: https://read.timesprintingdigital.com/i/516030

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 9 of 79

10 www.randomlake.org Cascade ✪ Cascade ✪ Cascade ✪ Cascade ✪ Cascade ✪ Cascade From water-powered saw mills and grist mills of the pioneer days to its modern day wind tur- bines, the Village of Cascade has a heritage of "green energy." The community can trace its roots back to 1846, when James Preston and the Rev. Hunting Lyman located on the North Branch of the Milwaukee River. They platted a village and named it Cascade. There was enough water power to support two mill ponds -- an upper and a lower. That same year a crude sawmill was built. Within two years Wisconsin became a state and the saw- mill was upgraded to a grist mill -- and other water-powered mills would follow. Fast forward to 2010, when Cascade built two 100-kilowatt wind turbines to become the first Wisconsin community to use locally produced wind energy to power its municipal wastewater treat- ment plant. In 1846 a road was built from Fort Howard (Green Bay) to Madison, and that "Madison Road" came right through Cascade. That's why the extremely wide main street in Cascade now bears the name of "Madison Ave." The Cascade Post Office was established on July 14, 1849. In 1866 a fire wiped out most of the business district, but it was rebuilt. By 1893 the village had a drug store, saw mill, wagon shop, butcher, harness shop, mill, hardware store, tailor, two shoe stores, four saloon/hotels, wagon shop, two taverns barber, two blacksmiths, fur- niture store and two cheese factories. The Village of Cascade was incorporat- ed in 1914. The Cascade Fire Department, organized on Sept. 10, 1915, will celebrate its 100th anniversary this year. The Cas- cade Fire Department Picnic (July 31, Aug. 1-2) will include a Sunday noon parade. Several churches have been located in Cascade. St. Mary's Catholic Church, or- ganized in 1854, merged with four other parishes to form Our Lady of the Lakes Parish in 1998. The 1893 church building now is the home of Wild West Studios Inc. St. Paul's Lutheran Church had its beginnings in 1866, when a pastor from Sherman Center came to conduct ser- vices. The present church was built in 1906. Cascade also had an Evangelical United Brethren Church (1854-1961) and a United Methodist Church (1872-1977), and those traditions continued with the 1977 merger that created Trinity United Methodist Church in Waldo. Lake Ellen is located about a half mile from Cascade. Legend has it that the 121-acre lake was named after a girl who drowned in its waters and was buried in an isolated grave nearby. But Ellen is not the name n the gravestone so the legend appears to be false. The lake bore the name of Ellen as early as 1848. 1916 - Top Row: Harold Lammers, Oswald Halboth, Ambrose O'Rielly, August Cramer, Charles Goll, Fred Zelm. Bottom Row: Leo Schultz, Charles Boeldt, Henry Skelton, Otto Boettcher, William Bradley, Paul Steinhardt, Ed. Hueppchen, Art Bastian, Hugh Doherty. Cascade

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Hometown USA - Business, Biker and Visitor Guide