Hometown USA

Business, Biker and Visitor Guide

Issue link: https://read.timesprintingdigital.com/i/516030

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 7 of 79

8 www.randomlake.org Batavia & Beechwood v Batavia & Beechwood v Batavia & Beechwood v It always was a premier farming area with several tributaries of the Milwaukee River providing ample moisture. Batavia became the first village of importance, and soon another hamlet called Beech- wood sprung up on the west side — on the shore of the 22-acre Beechwood Lake. In its heyday Batavia had a wide variety of commerce and it was a true commer- cial center but few businesses survived in the years after World War II. No manu- facturing facilities or large employers are located in the Town of Scott, but there are several fine establishments offering camaraderie with good food and drink. Beechwood draws visitors to the Beech- wood Rest Home and Noble View Cheese Co. Batavia is the site of the Town of Scott Community Center, originally built and operated by the fire department. The Batavia Fire Department and Beechwood Fire Department remain active community organizations. Both are dispatched to any emergency in the Town of Scott. Members of both depart- ments also serve with the Batavia First Responders. The Beechwood Fire De- partment has an active auxiliary unit. When the one-room school districts were required to join a district with a high school, the eastern part of the town chose the Random Lake School District, while the western portion selected the Kewaskum School District. Since the 2010 Census, the Town of Scott also has two representatives on the Sheboygan County Board. The official Town of Scott population estimate for 2013 is 1,838 (the 2010 Cen- sus had 1,836, and in 2000 it was 1,804). There seems to be proof that in 1846 John G. Aupperle became Scott's first settler. Other early family names that are still familiar include Naumann, Mulder, Le Fever, Stolper, Rusch, Kaiser, Ebert, Kreut- zinger and Hammen. The first town meeting was held in April, 1850, with R. C. Brazelton elected as Scott's first chairman. By 1870 the Town of Scott was supporting five district and two joint district schools, with a com- bined enrollment of 428 pupils. Beech- wood Elementary School closed in June, 1984. Batavia Elementary School closed in June, 2006. The Town of Scott has an interest- ing church history. Immanuel Lutheran Church was established in 1869 with a log church built about a mile south of Beechwood. It was replaced by a new building in 1885. The church was de- T he Town of Scott anchors the southwestern corner of Sheboygan County. Batavia & Beechwood John Klahn makes pancakes for Beechwood's annual Breakfast with Santa. B a ta a v ia & Be e chwoo d ✪ B a ta a v ia & Be e chwoo d ✪ B a ta a v ia &

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Hometown USA - Business, Biker and Visitor Guide