Hometown USA

Business, Biker and Visitor Guide

Issue link: https://read.timesprintingdigital.com/i/516030

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 23 of 79

24 www.randomlake.org The history of Hingham goes back 160 years when families from New England arrived to establish this classic mill town. Original families included Hobart, Tibbitts, Currier, Cobb, Hill, Twist, Morrill, Brooke and Gifford. Harnessing the power of the Onion River was essential to get the mills up and running. In the early 1850s, members of the Hobart and Tibbitts families dammed the Onion River and built a saw mill in the river flats just north of Water Street. Ed- ward Hobart opened a grist and feed mill around 1854. By 1873, the village had at least 24 businesses, including a general store, stone mason, wagon maker, black- smith, photographer, realtor and post office. Hingham also claimed the title of "Egg Capital" with S. D. Hyde exporting over 102,000 dozen eggs in one year! The first school opened in 1856, near the cemetery. A third school was con- structed on the same site around 1904, and remained Hingham's education cen- ter for 95 years. The last school opened on Bridge Road in 1960. Hingham's first settlers completed a Methodist church in 1866. It was a Greek Revival design and served the congre- gation for 111 years. In 1891, Dutch Cal- vinists established a Dutch Reformed Church on the corner of Bridge and Church Streets. Today, Hingham Re- formed Church stands on this same site. The early citizens of Hingham lobbied for a railroad for decades. Although in 1895, grading was virtually finished, the company financing the project went bankrupt. Remnants of the grading can still be seen in the form of troughs and mounds southeast of the ballpark and north of the river. The village has an interesting mix of both historic architecture and modern homes and subdivisions. The children of Hingham attend school in the Oostburg School District. — History provided by Steven Shaver Hingham's second school on the corner of Main and Church, constructed around 1904. The giant metal tube served as the school's fire escape until the building was closed in 1960. Hingham 4" 2.6" 4" 2.6" 4" 2.6" 4" 2.6" 4" 2.6" H in g h a m ✪ H in g h a m ✪ H in g h a m ✪ H in g h a m ✪ H in g h a m

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of Hometown USA - Business, Biker and Visitor Guide